The Council is the legal authority for the Opticians of Manitoba (OOM). As a member of the Council, a Secretary acts in a position of trust for the members and the public and is responsible for the effective governance of the organization.
Good communication and written skills.
The Secretary is appointed by the Executive Committee to serve a two-year term. The Secretary will continue to hold office after his/her term expires until the member is re-elected or reappointed or a successor is elected or appointed. A member appointed by Council to fill a vacancy shall hold office for the balance of the unexpired term of the vacating member.
- Commitment to the work of the organization
- Knowledge and skills in one or more areas of council governance: policy, finance, programs and personnel
- Willingness to serve on at least one committee
- Attendance at bimonthly Council and Executive meetings
- A time commitment of five hours a month,(includes Council /Executive committee meeting preparation, Executive Committee and Council meeting time)
- Attendance at the Annual General Meeting
- Be informed of the services provided by the Opticians of Manitoba and publicly support them
- Prepare for and participate in the discussions and the deliberations of the council
- Foster a positive working relationship with other council members and the general staff
- Be aware of and abstain from any conflict of interest
- Establish overall long and short term goals, objectives and priorities for the Opticians of Manitoba in meeting the needs of the members and the public
- Prepare and maintain minutes and records for all Council and Executive meetings
- Review/monitor and verify accuracy of the meetings minutes and circulates them to all Directors
- Adhere to the general duties outlined in the board member job description
Annually reviews the Secretary’s job description. Recommended changes are presented to the council
Opticians of Manitoba Bylaws- 1984