The Council is the legal authority for the Opticians of Manitoba (OOM). As a member of the Council, a Treasurer acts in a position of trust for the members and the public and is responsible for the effective governance of the organization.
Completed one year of council membership and have the ability to read/understand/interpret financial statements.
The Treasurer is appointed by the Executive Committee to serve a two-year term. The Treasurer will continue to hold office after his/her term expires until the member is re-elected or reappointed or a successor is elected or appointed. A member appointed by Council to fill a vacancy shall hold office for the balance of the unexpired term of the vacating member.
- Commitment to the work of the organization
- Knowledge and skills in one or more areas of council governance: policy, finance, programs and personnel
- Willingness to serve on at least one committee
- Attendance at bimonthly Council and Executive meetings
- A time commitment of five hours a month, (includes Council/Executive Committee meeting preparation, committee and Council/Executive meeting time)
- Attendance at the Annual General Meeting
- Be informed of the services provided by the Opticians of Manitoba and publicly support them
- Prepare for and participate in the discussions and the deliberations of the council
- Foster a positive working relationship with other council members and the general staff
- Be aware and abstain from any conflict of interest
- Establish overall long and short-term goals, objectives and priorities for the Opticians of Manitoba in meeting the needs of the members and the public
- Ability to read/understand/interpret financial statements for the council members
- Chair the Finance Committee meetings
- Act as a signing authority on behalf of the council for financial matters
- Ensure audited financial statements are presented to the Council on an annual basis
- Call the motion at the Annual Meeting to appoint the auditor
- Act as a resource to the other committees
- Adhere to the general duties outlined in the Council member job description
Annually reviews the Treasurer’s job description. Recommended changes are presented to the council
Opticians of Manitoba Bylaws- 1984