"For Internationally Educated Opticians"

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Do I have to be fluent in English to practise Opticianry in Manitoba?

There are no English language requirements for registration and licensing with OOM. However, it is recommended that you have a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) Level 7 or higher in all four skills (speaking, listening, reading, and writing) in English. This will increase your chance of success with the registration and licensing process.

2. I am an internationally educated Optician. I am registered and licensed in another Canadian province or territory. Can I automatically be registered and licensed with OOM?

No. The regulator in each province or territory in Canada has its own registration and licensing process. You must complete the registration and licensing process with OOM to practise Opticianry in Manitoba.

3. I earned a degree in my home country. Will my education program be approved by OOM?

No. OOM approves only accredited Canadian educational programs. Therefore, all internationally educated applicants must complete the PLAR registration and licensing processes outlined on this website.

4. What educational institutions are approved by OOM?

OOM approves only these accredited educational institutions:
Seneca College (Toronto, Ontario)
Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (Edmonton, Alberta)
Douglas College (Coquitlam, BC)
Georgian College (Barrie, Ontario)

Oulton College (Moncton, New Brunswick)
Collège Commonautaire du Nouveau-Brunswick (Bathurst, New Brunswick)

5. I completed a bridging program recommended by OOM before I wrote the exam. I did not pass the exam. Will OOM recommend another bridging program for me?

OOM will provide you with the option of completing more bridging courses before you rewrite the exam but it is not mandatory.

6. What is the difference between registration and licensing?

OOM enters your name on the Register when you have completed the registration process. This means you have the training and experience to practise Opticianry in Manitoba and you can apply for a licence at any time. You must only register once. Your name will be entered on the Register even if you do not complete the licensing process. Your name may be removed from the Register if you commit an offence or are found to be guilty of professional misconduct.

OOM provides you with a license once you have completed the licensing requirements. You can practise Opticianry in Manitoba for as long as your licence is valid but you must renew your licence annually.

7. How can I accelerate the registration process from my home country?

You may accelerate the process by completing these tasks in your home country:

Submit your Application for PLAR

Use Manitoba’s online resources to improve your level of English from your home computer:

8. What is a bridging program?

A bridging program is an educational program that focuses on filling the gaps in your specific areas of weakness. It may be an online program or a period of supervised practice.

9. What is online distance learning?

Online distance learning allows you to complete a course at home on your computer rather than attend classes at an educational institution.

10. Do I have to follow the Decision set out for me by the OOM Registration Committee?

You must follow the Registration Committee’s Decision and successfully complete the required bridging program or course(s) if you wish to be eligible to proceed to the next step in the registration and licensing process.

11. Do I have to be a member of the Opticians Association of Canada (OAC) to be registered or licensed by OOM?

No. Membership with OAC is optional. The benefits of membership include an online continuing education program, education day event and free professional liability insurance.

  • For IEPs Directory of Manitoba Opticians News and Events
    Member Login
    Public Awareness campaign