The OOM Registration Committee will assess the following to decide if you are eligible for registration and licensing:
- Your required documents
- Your Gap Analysis results
- Your interview findings
OOM will mail you a Decision letter with one of the following decisions:
- You have demonstrated enough knowledge and skill to be eligible for registration and licensing. You are not required to complete Step 2: Exam. You may proceed to Step 3: Registration
- You did NOT demonstrate enough knowledge and skill to be eligible for registration and licensing. However, you have demonstrated enough knowledge and skill to be eligible for examination. You may proceed to Step 2: Exam
- You did NOT demonstrate enough knowledge and skill to be eligible for registration and licensing. The Registration Committee believes that without further training, you would NOT be able to succeed if you challenge the exam. It believes that if you complete a bridging program or course(s), then you will acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed when you challenge the exam
The Registration Committee may decide that further assessment and/or training is required prior to registration after reviewing all of your documentation, work experience, Gap Analysis, interview results of your online GAP Analysis and in-person interview. This information will be included in the decision letter.
OOM may instruct you to complete a specific bridging program or course(s) provided by the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT), you may complete the bridging program or course(s) through online distance learning. You may also be required to complete practical experience supervised by a Licensed Optician. If you are required to complete a bridging program, you will have a maximum of 3 years to complete it before being required to repeat the PLAR process. The Registration Committee can also update their decision if you fail to complete the requirements stated in the decision letter. Once you successfully complete the bridging program or course(s), you may proceed to Step 2: Exam
4. You did NOT demonstrate enough knowledge and skill to be eligible for registration or examination. You must complete an entire Opticianry education program in Eyeglasses, Contact Lenses or both at an educational institution that is approved by OOM. When the program is successfully completed, you may proceed to Step 2: Exam
Note: You will receive detailed information on the results of your online GAP analysis and in person interview. This information will be included with your decision letter.
What is a bridging program?
A bridging program is an educational program that focuses on filling the gaps in your specific areas of weakness.
What is online distance learning?
Online distance learning allows you to complete a course at home on your computer rather than attend classes at an educational institution.
How long do I have to complete my bridging program and take the National Exam after I receive the decision?
An applicant must take the National Examination for eyeglasses within two (2) years from the date of the decision. As any additional training or bridging must be successfully completed prior to taking the National Examination the maximum time allowed to successfully complete the entire bridging program is two (2) years from the date of the decision. Should the additional training not be completed as stated the opportunity to use the above bridging expires and the applicant must undergo another Prior Learning Assessment on Recognition (PLAR) process prior to taking the National Examination for eyeglasses.